Take full backup of Firefox

Take full backup of Firefox


Day Before yesterday I got a mail from one of my blog visitor that he had to take a complete backup of his machine before formatting it including all the setting of Firefox. He said he do not want to give a complete day to restore his Firefox setting after formatting the machine so if I can do any help for him that would solve his purpose. I understand this because I felt the same pain in my eyes when I reformatted my machine long back and lost with Firefox. Lot of extension saved forms, saved password and many more things. That time it took me 2 days to restore my Firefox to its original state so I decided to goggle once before formatting my computer again.

After goggling I found I did not tried earlier so I had no answer but this time I searched for this and I got lot of answers for my this question but I like MozBackup. At present many different tool are there but I recommend only 2 ways.

1. Manual Backup (best method)

2) MozBackup


Manual Backup is as simple as you take other backup and copy paste the profile

MozBackup is a wizard tool so, very simple in its own way.


Ok Let’s talk about manual Backup First

Its backup and restoration is simple copy and paste major problem is to get the actual folder.

In windows XP and 2003 machine path is


C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles


For windows Vista path is

C:\users\\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles


Now what you need to do is just copy this profile folder as backup.


For restoring Firefox copy all the files and folder of this backed up profile folder in your new installed Firefox profile at same place.


About MozBackup

It’s simple you download it and use it. You can download it from here I would recommend you to download zip file. After downloading unzip it and run the MozBackup.exe from extracted folder. It will open a wizard click on next and you will get bellow screen

Select the Mozilla Firefox and click on next if you are running

Firefox it will ask you to close the Firefox so close the Firefox and click on next. On next screen it will show you all the available profiles of Firefox select desired profile (if you do not have more than one profile it will just show the default profile) and click on next. By default it will save the backup file in my document folder you can change the location with your wish.


For restoration simply run the same wizard again and this time

choose restore option instead of backup.

Things to remember

1. Its ok you took backup of these files but its always a good idea to take backup of bookmark separately.

2. If you are not able to view the application data folder than please select the show hidden folder option from your windows explorer ->tools->folder option->view->hidden files and folders.


I hope its useful for you.


Do comment if you liked it it encourage me to give more content

Clicky Web Analytics